Sunday, April 19, 2015

Two Days in April

It started as a beautiful April day.

I was driving back from the courthouse in Franklin, Texas when news broke over my truck radio of a fire raging at the Branch Davidian Compound near Waco. I remember thinking the north wind whipping those flames of death was carrying it's lurid work south to me as I drove.

I was in my office two years later to the day when an attorney I share office space with burst in and exclaimed the Federal Building in Oklahoma City had been blown up. I was in that city two years after and made a point of visiting the site and temporary memorial. I remember closing my eyes and imagining what had happened near where I stood.

Chaos, blood and death.

Then, four years and day after that awful April experience, more death at Columbine High School. I was a father by then, twice over. I remember thinking of the parents confronting it. Their children's lives ending, violently, unnaturally, before their own, and before their eyes.

Today is the 20th anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing, but these three events on two successive days in April will always be tied together in my mind.

In a life where lessons contain many hues of gray, one lesson learned is evil does exist. For these two days in April, I especially hunker down and hope it does not rear it's ugly face.

No comments:

Post a Comment